The Privacy Act 1988 (“the Act”) regulates the way individuals’ personal information is handled using the Australian Privacy Principles (“APP”).
Under the Act, Awesome Church is considered a small business and therefore is exempt from the application of the Act and Principles. However, Awesome Church respects the privacy of people we deal with and is committed to protecting the information provided to it and has therefore decided to comply with the provisions of the Act that relate to the handling of Personal Information.
This policy explains how Awesome Church collects, stores, uses, and may disclose personal information and takes all reasonable steps to ensure the Privacy of your information.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us collecting, holding, using, and disclosing such information in accordance with this Policy.
This policy applies to all records, whether hard copy or electronic, containing personal information about individuals, including interviews or discussions of a sensitive personal nature.
PERSONAL INFORMATION DEFINITION
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether or not the information or opinion is true or not; and regardless of how the information or opinion is recorded.
Sensitive personal information is personal information that includes information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin; political opinions or associations; religious or philosophical beliefs; memberships or associations; criminal records; health or genetic information.
DEALING WITH PERSONAL INFORMATION
In dealing with personal information, Awesome Church seeks to ensure:
- privacy for congregation members, pastors, board members, leaders, volunteers, employees, and third-party service providers including when they are being interviewed or discuss matters of a personal or sensitive nature.
- we only collect and store personal information that is necessary for the functioning of the Awesome Church and its activities
- the use of fair and lawful ways to collect personal information
- consent is obtained for the collection of personal information
- ensure that people know the type of personal information being held, the purpose of keeping the information, the method it is collected, used, disclosed, and who will have access to it
- that personal information collected or disclosed is accurate, complete, and up-to-date, and provide access to the individual to review information or correct wrong information about themselves
- reasonable steps are taken to protect all personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure
- the destruction or permanent de-identification of personal information no longer needed and/or after legal requirements for retaining documents have expired
- that members understand and agree with what personal information will be collected and why
- members are informed when any recordings occur in either audio and/or visual format. The member’s involvement in any recording should be agreed to in writing
PROTECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information reasonably necessary for us to carry on our ministry, provide pastoral care, Church operations and services, employment, and volunteering duties. This information covers Pastors, leaders, congregation members, visitors, volunteers, employees, service providers, and contractors. The information collected includes, but is not limited to:
- Your name and contact details (e.g., telephone number, email, street, and postal address)
- Date of birth, emergency contact person/s.
- Details of current/previous employment or volunteer involvement, TFN, skills, experience, qualifications, and such information related to working for, contracting with, or volunteering at Awesome Church.
- Information relating to ministry needs and pastoral care.
- Religious beliefs.
- Information in electronic communications, including emails, instant messages, and other communications records, which may be automatically captured and digitally stored securely.
- Banking details (if Awesome Church is to make or receive payments to/from you).
- Work and personal history checks (e.g., Police check, Working with Children Check, etc) may be required for some roles.
- Information collected from publicly available sources, for instance, the media and social networking websites.
In some situations, it is necessary for Awesome Church to collect or receive information about an individual’s health. In this circumstance, we will advise why the information is being collected and
whether and to whom it will be released.
Method of Collection
Provided it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will only collect personal information directly from you and with your consent using fair and lawful ways. Personal Information will generally be collected from you in person, over the phone, through written communications (either on paper or electronic), or by you completing forms. Individuals will be informed, and approval sought when any recordings occur (audio and/or visual format) which includes their involvement.
You may choose not to provide us with your personal information. Without such information, we may not be able to provide you with an appropriate level of ministry and pastoral care. It may also affect your ability to work for, volunteer, or contract with us.
We may collect Personal Information from third parties during job recruitment processes for example from your nominated referees and/or through police or background checking processes.
Purposes of Collection
The purposes for which we may collect Personal Information include, but are not limited to:
- provide or inform you of Awesome Church services as part of the process to become a volunteer or employee of Awesome Church
- for pastoral care and/or ministry and other services
- assist with services whilst you are employed or engaged as a volunteer
- pay for products and services
- bible college
- facilitate ongoing fundraising
- comply with legal obligations
- to retain you as a contractor, customer, or supplier
- for complaints handling or data analytics purposes; and
- for any other purpose permitted by law
Use and disclosure
A person’s personal information will generally only be used or disclosed for the reasons for which it was collected; for a reasonably expected secondary purpose; or as otherwise permitted under the law, including the Privacy Act. For example, we may use personal information:
- for any purpose for which there is consent.
- offering and providing ministry and pastoral care.
- communication regarding Church matters, services, and operations.
- in the conduct of a role or position within the Church.
- communicating to manage any inquiries or complaints; or
- otherwise, in connection with Awesome Church conducting its ministry and operations.
We may disclose personal information to fulfill our legal and statutory obligations; to best minister and provide pastoral oversight; where it is required in the case of a safer church incident or investigation; and as permitted by law.
Access, Correction and Further Information
Personal information will be retained for the period in which you attend or hold a position at Awesome Church, or we are legally required to keep records.
Access to your personal information will only by those who need to access it to fulfill the purposes for which it has been collected. This includes Pastors, Board members, and Departments Leaders.
A person can request access to personal information that we hold at any time. We will provide the information we hold unless for legal or administrative reasons we are unable to do so.
Inaccurate personal information may be requested to be corrected, or requests restrict our ongoing use of such personal information, which we will do if this is practicable, and we are legally entitled to do so in the circumstances.
We will take such steps as are reasonable to ensure that the Personal Information which we collect remains accurate, up to date, and complete. We will provide you with access to your Personal Information held by us unless we are permitted under the Privacy Act to refuse to provide you with such access. Please contact us via the details below if you:
- wish to have access to the Personal Information which we hold about you.
- consider that the Personal Information which we hold about you is not accurate, complete, or up to date; or
- require further information on our Personal Information handling practices.
Awesome Church: 4 Euston Street Rydalmere: email@example.com
Privacy Officer: Pastor Milena Sakalauskas: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you consider that the Personal Information which we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant, or misleading, we will take reasonable steps, to correct that information if you so request.
We will respond to all requests for access and/or correction within a reasonable time.
Typically, we will store Personal Information in hard copy and electronic form.
We will take reasonable steps to:
- protect the Personal Information held by us from misuse, interference, and loss.
- protect the Personal Information held by us from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure; and
- destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information once we no longer require it for our business purposes.
From time to time, we may change our policy on how we handle Personal Information or the types of Personal Information which we hold. Any changes to our Policy will be published on our website and you are encouraged to check the website regularly for updates. You may obtain a copy of our current Policy from our website or by contacting us on the details listed above.
If you have a complaint about the way in which we have handled any privacy issue, including your request for access or correction of your Personal Information, you should advise us via the contact details set out above.
No sensitive information should be transmitted electronically over email, or any other non-secure or unencrypted electronic transmission means (e.g., SMS, social media, instant messaging, etc) such as a person’s credit card details, bank account details, and Tax File Numbers.
Awesome Church will provide regular opportunities for persons or entities they hold Private Information on, to ensure the accuracy of the Private information held and a simple process to unsubscribe or request the destruction of Private Information.
The notifiable data breaches scheme requires Awesome Church to notify affected individuals and the Australian Information Commissioner of certain data breaches. If a data breach occurs, the Church will perform an assessment to determine if there has been a ‘eligible data breach’ whereby the access or disclosure of personal information is likely to result in serious harm to the individual(s) to whom the personal information relates. If it is determined there has been an eligible data breach, affected individuals will be notified as soon as practicable of the details of the breach and the recommended steps the relevant individual(s) should take in response to it. If required, Awesome Church will inform the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR MANAGING PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Board is ultimately responsible for the implementation and oversight of this policy and will appoint a Privacy Officer who is responsible for:
- Ensuring that congregation members and other relevant individuals are provided with information about their rights regarding privacy and dignity.
- Handling any queries or complaints about a privacy issue.
All Pastors, Board Members, Leaders, Volunteers, and Employees are responsible for the management of personal information to which they have access. The Board is responsible for the content in
Awesome Church publications, communications, and on the website will ensure the following:
- Appropriate consent is obtained for the inclusion of any personal information about any individual,
- Information being provided by external parties conforms to privacy principles